Dude's jaw shatters after vape pen exploded in his mouth

News 21/06/2019

A 17-year old in US has suffered a broken jaw, burns to his mouth and lips, and lost some teeth thanks to a vape pen exploding while he was using it.

As is pretty standard these days, Austin turned to vaping to try and quit smoking. While he was using his vape pen by a company called VGOD though, he got a bloody nasty shock when it exploded. 

His mum said he was in shock when he came back into their house with a hand over his mouth.

The New England Journal of Medicine described the injury as: "A 17-year-old boy presented to the ED with pain and swelling in his jaw 2 hours after an e-cigarette exploded during use. He had extensive lacerations in his mouth, multiple disrupted lower incisors, and bony incongruity of his left mandible."

Here's his x-ray and mouth injury:

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is in charge of regulating all tobacco-related products, including e-cigarettes, in the US. They've recently finalised guidance procedures for manufacturers of e-cigarettes and vape pens, recommending the companies provide detailed information about the kind of batteries they use and the likelihood of overheating. This is because, according to the FDA, explosions such as this occur when lithium-ion batteries inside the pen overheat. 

Austin's doctor, Dr. Russell, called his injury "totally unexpected", saying: "He didn’t recall doing anything wrong with the device beforehand, and it just exploded."

Vape safe out there kids.