Speeders alert, here's where the 33 new speed cameras are
The next phase of a $10 million Government speed camera construction project will be rolled out in the coming months, with 33 cameras to be installed across the country.
Downer ITS was confirmed as the successful tenderer on Wednesday for the project, which will put fixed speed cameras in locations from Kamo to Invercargill.
Two further sites are still to be finalised.
The project, signed off by the Government in July 2013, will put 56 cameras across New Zealand in areas with the highest risk of speed-related crashes, following detailed analysis from independent experts and consultation with councils.
The national manager of road policing, Superintendent Steve Greally, says the cameras will likely become operational early next year.
"Evidence shows that fixed cameras on average reduce fatal and serious injury crashes by about 20 per cent [in each camera's proximity]," he said.
Fifteen fixed cameras have been installed since 2013 and two more are undergoing final testing.
New fixed speed camera locations:
- Old North Rd, Kumeu, Waitemata - Installed and in testing phase
- Twin Coast Discovery Highway, Kaiwaka, Northland - Installed and in
- Tamaki Drive, Parnell, Auckland City
- Hillsborough Rd, Hillsborough, Auckland City
- Great North Rd, Grey Lynn, Auckland City
- State Highway 2, Pukehina, Bay of Plenty
- State Highway 1, Temuka, Canterbury
- Leeston Rd, Springston, Canterbury
- State Highway 3, Mokoia, Central
- State Highway 56, Tiakitahuna, Central
- Mahia Rd, Wattle Downs, Counties Manukau
- Massey Rd, Mangere, Counties Manukau
- Waiuku Rd, Mauku, Counties Manukau
- Glenbrook Rd, Kingseat, Counties Manukau
- Awhitu Rd, Karioitahi, Counties Manukau
- Great North Rd, Kamo, Northland
- Southern Motorway, Burnside, Dunedin
- King Edward St, South Dunedin
- Otatara Rd, New River Ferry, Southern
- Serpentine Ave, Dunedin Central
- Severn St, Oamaru
- State Highway 2, Maramarua, Waikato
- State Highway 2, Waikino, Waikato
- Main Rd, Raglan, Waikato
- State Highway 29, Te Poi, Waikato
- Otorohanga Rd, Otorohanga, Waikato
- State Highway 2, Waihi, Waikato
- Te Awamutu-Cambridge Rd, Cambridge, Waikato
- Coatesville Riverhead Highway, Coatesville, Waitemata
- State Highway 1, Wellsford, Waitemata
- State Highway 17, Albany Heights, Waitemata
- Great North Rd, Henderson, Waitemata
- Twin Coast Discovery Highway, Dome Valley, Waitemata
- Rata St, New Lynn, Waitemata
- East Coast Rd, Redvale, Waitemata
NZN / Newshub.