He’s dropped six singles in a month and half to kick off 2023 and he’s just announced an album is coming out this week: Skrillex is well and truly back.
First things first, the album is coming on Friday the 17th US Time (either Friday or Saturday for us - time differences y'know) and it's called 'Quest For Fire'.
We know this because the EDM pioneer, real name Sonny Moore, posted an album announcement on his Instagram account over the weekend and a 23-minute “Basement Set” containing tracks from the new project.
Other than the fact that the album artwork is terrifying, all we know about the album is a loose idea of the tracks on it.
It’s safe to say it will include the tunes he’s already released this year: ‘Rumble’ with Fred Again; ‘Way Back’ with Pink Pantheress and Trippie Redd; ‘Leave Me Like This’ with Bobby Raps; ‘Real Spring’ with Bladee; ‘Xena’ with Nai Barghouti; and the just released ‘Don’t Get Too Close’ with Bibi Bourelly.
His aforementioned ‘basement set’ contains thirteen tracks including some of the singles mentioned above, as well as features from Swae Lee, Four Tet, Musst Elliot, Porter Robinson, and more. Here’s the whole setlist:
- 'Rumble' feat. Fred Again & Flowdan x Hamdi – Skanka
- 'Xena' feat. Nai Barghouti
- 'Inhale Exhale' feat. Aluna
- 'A Street I Know' feat. Eli Keszler
- 'Tears' feat. Joker & Sleepnet
- 'Warped Tour '05' feat. Pete Wentz
- 'Good Space' feat. Starrah
- 'Too Bizzare (juked)' feat. Swae Lee, Siiickbrain & Posij x Constantine & Squadooble – Bust Down
- 'Supersonic (My Existence) VIP' feat. Noisia, Josh Pan & Dylan Brady
- 'Leave Me Like This' feat. Bobby Raps x 'Baby Again' feat. Four Tet & Fred Again
- 'Butterflies' feat. Starrah & Four Tet
- 'Ratata' feat. Missy Elliott & Mr. Oizo
- 'Still Here (With the ones that I came with)' feat. Porter Robinson & Bibi Bourelly
Although there's no concrete confirmation that these tracks will be on the album, many people on Twitter are assuming that this is the official tracklist for 'Quest For Fire'.
Earlier in the year Skrillex teased at a double album when he tweeted "QFF/DGTC 23".
We've got the 'QFF', but what about the 'DGTC'? "DGTC' probably stands for 'Don't Get Too Close'. Sonny tweeted that phrase late last year, alongside a pic of a younger Skrillex which fans speculate to be the album cover. Skrillex has said nothing else about 'DGTC'.
So to round up: new Skrillex album this weekend, scary album cover, possible tracklist already out (not confirmed though), and there's more than likely another Skrillex album coming later in the year.